Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Today I experienced it again. I haven't in a long time. I haven't noticed it in a long time is the reality. Today it smacked me in the face and pissed me off. I work in an office which is nearly 97% female. Woman owned, mostly women in upper management, almost entirely women on the "front lines." It's customer service. Phone stuff.

Today I was training our newest employee, a male. He'd never been on the phone, barely knows the ropes, yet every person he spoke to called him 'Sir' or 'Mr. Z'. When I speak with our clients, I give them a very friendly experience, and what do I get for it? A bastardized, horribly mutilated version of my name. My first name. Or I get called 'Sweetie,' 'Hon,' 'Dear,' 'Sugar,' or some other term of endearment which I usually reserve only for my most intimate friends.

No one questioned anything he told them even when the information was clearly wrong (don't worry, I corrected him). And he stammered like a newbie. Any woman I've trained who stammered the way he did was asked instantly if they were new. No one asked.

And yet - if it wasn't for me, that department would nearly collapse. I hope it does. I have two days left.

No comments: